Monday, March 2, 2015

Basing conundrum for Blücher

I have been happily painting along, and tried the following:




*Disregard the sand, i haven't painted it yet to look like grass.. that's a test for later.


The question is ofcourse, does this look like a brigade to you? I'm thinking that I could just put the front 'battalion' on a base, make it less deep (so a 60x30mm base instead of the 60x40mm it is now) and call it a day..

Or I could form up all my 'battalions' as columns and mount 2 on every base (with room to spare for artillery) That might work for the French, but what about the thin red line that are the British? How about Prussians? I just don't really know.

I'll do another base with just 1 infantry 'battalion' on it and compare. If it works it would save 50% on painting time - so I'm pretty tempted to go down the easy way..

6 comments:

  1. A difficult choice, as you say it will work for the French but the British would really only allow 1 battalion, unless you put a second one behind the first?

    I think single Battalion may be the best solution

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd put the British on bases 60mm wide by 30mm deep and and combine them for Blucher. All other nations could be done on 60x60 with multiple battalions in columns. That's the way I'm doing my 6mm Naps anyway as it means I can use them for Blucher and most other rule sets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to try and do another stand 60x30mm with only 1 battalion on it. I'll post pictures when I have finished that, so you can compare :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would go with either two lines or two columns. There is just not enough base depth for a line and a column.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I skip skirmishers, I can probably fit a column and line on a base comfortably..

      I just have a little trouble with having two lines one behind the other..

      Delete
  5. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. custom website design service

    ReplyDelete