Thursday, December 29, 2016

Napoleonic Crisis 217BC

Recently a few friends and I visited Crisis in Antwerp, the biggest wargames show in mainland Europe. Quite an experience, a lot of people and plenty of vendors. I didn't get to play in a game, but there was so much to see!

My loot as you can see, a few Corvus Belli figures, Xyston elephants, a load of Flames of War Romanians and some Foundry Vikings.

Napoleon's Regiments is a reference book that may come in handy later as will some of the Ancient Warfare magazines.

The year is nearing its end, although I am not one to reflect on every birthday or new years eve I do know the value of having to set dates in your plans. I sometimes say to people 'a plan without a date is a dream' and I should practice what I preach. (..and that is enough one-liners in one post).

2016 has been quite a productive hobby year with over 300*15mm figures painted, an increase in the amount of games played and the total time procrastinated with wargaming in general.

The projects I am somewhat actively working on are as follows:

  1. Macedonians or successors in 15mm
  2. Romans from the early empire in 15mm
  3. Spanish for the Dutch revolt in 15mm
  4. French for the war of the Spanish Succession in 15mm
  5. Dutch for the second World War in 15mm
  6. Soviets & West-Germans for the Cold War in 6mm

1. Macedonians or successors in 15mm
These are progressing quite nicely, the War & Empire figures by Forged in Battle are nice and easy to paint and look great on the table. Happy with the progress, now if only they would perform on the table as well.. This year Kharwansaray Publishing will host something called 'project 217', an online project where people work on wargames that take place in 217BC. My Macedonians fit the bill perfectly, so I aim to contribute!

2. Romans from the early empire in 15mm
My Romans have grown a little and I am quite happy with them, they will get some more love in the next year when I will surely add some ballistas and maybe with the old Corvus Belli figures getting a re-release by Totentanz Miniatures adding some figures to the collection!

3. Spanish for the Dutch revolt in 15mm
This is the yearly project from the Dutch Miniature Wargames facebook group, I am planning to paint 2 tercios a cuirassier unit and a few cannon. Totentanz figures are nice and refreshing to paint.

4. French for the war of the Spanish Succession in 15mm
Ouch, started with such vigour and enthusiasm only to be left out to dry. An amazing conflict and one that appeals enormously to wargame. Alas starting a project is easy, actually directing time to do some work on the project has proven to be hard. I would like to say these will surely get more attention in 2017, but I am not sure they will.

5.  Dutch for the second World War in 15mm
Around half my army is finished and I picked up the other half at Crisis for under €30 (!), I would like a cavalry unit but will make do without for now. Until version 4 of Flames of War is released early next year I don't expect to do any work on these. But the goal is to finish a minimum of 1500 points in 2017.

6. Soviets & West-Germans for the Cold War in 6mm
I have a lot of vehicles painted, probably enough for some interesting games. The thing that remains is actually putting some sand and grass on their bases and painting some more infantry. No promises, but I am pretty sure this project will be ''playable'' in 2017.

The chance of actually finishing a project just becomes bigger every year so as any reader can see I clearly need more on my plate. For that reason I have decided to paint the entire French army of the Napoleonic Wars in 10mm scale. More on that in the new year!










 *I should have done a Spartan army..

2 comments: