Wednesday, March 1, 2017

lookin' back and ploddin' forward!

Finished painting a unit of hoplites:



Quite a nice unit, simple colours (the same as some of my pikemen..). My Ancient collection officially no longer fits into 1 Feldherr suitcase anymore, so that is a milestone I guess.

I did the first test figures for Napoleonics in 10mm. Easy French in greatcoats from Pendraken. Quite nice and pretty easy to do. Look better than their 6mm cousins and take significantly less time than the 15mm family of Napoleonics I tried years ago.




Painting speed was increased by the greatcoats, but there is something I found weird. These figures are carrying another greatcoat on their backpacks. Talk about an army prepared for winter, these could surely march right into a Russian winter!

Next up is a platoon of Dutch Machine Guns (converted to Vickers) Just 12 figures, in version 3 Flames of War they would be combat attached to my infantry platoons. In version 4 Flames of War they don't need a command team anymore.





Obviously all need some sand put on, but I will do that after I finish the next 2 units on my painting list. (some generic archers and a Macedonian cavalry unit)

Now for an analysis of last years painting. The numbers speak for themselves and 2016 was quite a productive year for me. I aim to be at least as productive in 2017.

Could stand to do some more cavalry for my Romans and Macedonians and I have a few blisters lying around for them.

For this year I have made a rough planning of what I am doing:
1. Finish hoplites (done)
2. Dutch MG platoon (done)
3. Finish my Pendraken Napoleonic French (done)
4. A cavalry unit for my Macedonians (wip)
5. A unit of archers for my Macedonians (wip)
6. Work on my 80 years war stuff again.

This list would keep me busy for maybe another 2 months, so yeah, we will see how it all goes.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely painted figures Edzard!

    Greetings
    Peter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive job, love the hoplites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Phil, they are nice figures and really 'made for painting' if you know what I mean.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you Prufrock, I enjoy your Ancient figures immensely. Really an inspiration.

      Delete
  4. Very nice Edzard, I suggest some 28mm Boers for Rourkes Dreft, sorry... DRIFT next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you just call me a kloot?! Haha, Rourkes Dreft sounds correct :-)

      Thanks!

      Delete